Monday, May 29, 2006

Bye bye car

Tomorrow, the lease is up on our little Mazda Protege5. Eric just left to take it to the dealership; they're going to clean and assess it tomorrow during the day, and then at night, we'll go back to sign some paperwork and it will be all done.

I knew all of this would be happening, but when Eric came to pick me up from work today, and I opened the passenger door to get in, it suddenly struck me - this was the last time I would be picked up from work in this car. Our dear little peppy car was going to be given back to Mazda, and sold to someone else. And I suddenly felt extremely sad. So sad that I started crying, and continued to cry all the way home.

I thought, what if our poor little car doesn't know we're giving it back? What if it just thinks it's being taken to get all cleaned up for summer? We love cleaning our car, and every time we get it back from the detailing place, it's shining proudly, "See Mommy? See Daddy? I'm like new!" And then we drive away together, a happy family.

Eric will drop it off tonight, and our car will be happily oblivious. And then tomorrow, when we return, it will wait patiently for us to finish whatever we're doing and take it home again. But instead, we'll just sign some papers, say goodbye, and get into another car, and leave it there at the big cold dealership lot! Our poor car! It won't know what happened!

Will it be sad? Will it miss us? Will it wonder what it did to make us return it?

After we got home, I sobbed for about 20 minutes while Eric handed me tissues. He suggested ways we could possibly keep the car, but none made any sense. We agreed that this was for the best. Later, then we took a big bag and went down to the parking garage to clean out our cds and maps. Rather, I started weeping once I saw the car again, and sat in the backseat crying while Eric cleaned out the cds and maps. Then we took one last little drive around the neighbourhood, and tried to explain to the car why it had to go. And I said goodbye.

Eric dropped me back off at the condo, and I handed over my car key. He's gone to the dealership by himself - I would have cried all the way there, and likely also once we got there, and that would have been embarrassing. He's sad too, I can tell. He probably doesn't think the car has feelings, but he's really going to miss the sport shift and the moonroof.

It's a sad day.

It's probably not a good idea for us to get a doggy or a kitty.

I will end with a send-off haiku.

We will miss you, car
May your road be filled with joy

Farewell...zoom zoom zoom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rest assured, the car will go to owners who will also take care of the car. You see, when a car is in such good shape, they will make it cost more. This increase in cost means that nobody like me will ever own it. Someone will take care of your car.

Anonymous said...

Well, seeing as you probably took it to back to a dealership in Markham, the asian capital of Canada, it will more likely than not end up in a car crash come the first snowfall next winter and will result in the worst traffic jam in Canadian history. Your poor car will be hated by everyone that passes the wreckage, and they'll be thinking 'Stupid Mazda Protege, zooming right into those other 3 cars, the cyclist, the fire truck, an old man on a walker, the hummer, the helicopter, the sub, a raccoon, and a moped with a sidecar.' Poor Madza Protege. No one will love you now. On the plus side, no more lease payments!

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! awning stripe sheet set Search no faxing payday loans pop up camper awning repair kits Fuji professional digital camera Trigano mirage caravan awning uk Tampa florida used auto dealers Do video games cause viloence Awnings sellers

Anonymous said...

What a great site »