Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Glutton in Training - A Short Diatribe

Dylan eats like a starving animal. I know that babies go through growth spurts and maybe 10 months is just one of those times. But I think it's ridiculous.

Yesterday for lunch he ate:

- an omelette made from 1 organic egg, a big handful of organic kale, 1 organic cremini mushroom and 1 stalk of organic green onion
- 1/2 a supermarket 1/2-pint container of organic raspberries
- 1 organic kiwi fruit
- 1/4 organic avocado

But since we were at a restaurant, his eyes wandered over to our food, so he also ate:

- the squishy inside of 1 wedge of a giant green-onion-sesame-seed-fried-cake thing
- 3 pieces of very spicy beef brisket

This sort of eating is a regular occurance. When we go to dim sum restaurants, you can see his mouth watering as the food comes to the table, and then he shrieks like he's frantic we're not going to give him any, and then he hoovers it down like a tortured prisoner. At dim sum, he likes to eat:

- the beefy insides of the beef noodle roll
- steamed BBQ pork buns - the whole thing, including the BBQ pork
- steamed chicken and mushroom buns - the whole thing including the chicken and mushroom
- panfried turnip cakes
- steamed beefy balls
- siu mai (steamed pork and shrimp dumplings)
- bean curd rolls with mushrooms and other vegetarian stuff inside
- chicken and shitake mushrooms in a rice hot pot
- congee, any kind

He also loves all berries and fruit. Thank god his digestive system has improved, and he breaks down his food more before he poops it out. For the longest time, blueberries were his favourite fruit, but the poo came out smelling like delicious blueberry muffins. It was horrible, I can't stand the smell of real blueberry muffins anymore. I also can't stand the smell of blueberry or mixed berry yogurt. It's all poo to me.

I look into the future of this child and I see obesity. Obesity and joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - that photo is hilarious, given the topic of this post! :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm, you've developed a hate of blueberries, where i've recently developed a new intense love affair with said berry...i can't believe i was missing out my entire life.

Anonymous said...

Mmm blueberry pancakes! Bring Dylan over on Saturday and we can make some :)
P.S. You do realize that if your child becomes the fat kid I will be forced to give him a complex in attempt to keep him thin. Halfies have too much potential to hidden behind multiple chins.