Friday, November 21, 2008

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeese

I've been thinking: it's time I wrote a blog post about cheese that is not of the dick variety. I love cheese but not all cheese and, this is important, not all cheese in all ways.

Here for your perusal is a brief list of my cheese preferences:
  1. I like Black Diamond marble cheese, but never ever Cracker Barrel. It is too creamy.
  2. I don't like Black Diamond marble cheese if it has come to room temperature
  3. I like Black Diamond mild cheddar, but never medium or old, and again never ever Cracker Barrel. Ditto goes for the temperature point above.
  4. I don't like cream cheese. I will not eat it on bagels, in spreads, in cold dips, or rolled with smoked salmon.
  5. I like cream cheese in hot crab/lobster dip
  6. I like cream cheese in cheesecakes
  7. I don't like Japanese cheesecakes
  8. I like mozzarella on pizza, lasagna, panini, and most baked casserole dishes.
  9. I do not like mozzarella cold or eaten on its own.
  10. I like mozzarella cold if it is buffalo mozzarella and served in a caprese salad.
  11. I no longer like cheese in my subs.
  12. I don't like cheese in my salads.
  13. I don't mind some cheese in my salad at St. Louis Wings.
  14. I like real cheese melted on nachos.
  15. I hate liquid squirtable/dippable cheese on nachos.
  16. I don't like Parmesan cheese on top of pasta.
  17. I like Parmesan cheese in pesto.
  18. I do not like Parmesan cheese (or any other kind of cheese) in tomato sauces
  19. I am starting to like Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, but mostly baked inconspicuously into lasagna, preferably mixed with mozzarella and breadcrumbs.
  20. I don't like fettucine alfredo.
  21. I have historically not liked feta, but I am starting to work on it. I like feta on some gourmet pizzas. I have also not historically liked feta in my Greek salad, but am starting to get it on the side so I can try it. I do not like spanikopita.
  22. I don't like goat cheese, and don't expect I ever will. It tastes like goat.
  23. I don't like swiss cheeses like Emmental or Gruyere. I also don't like Jarlsberg, though I'm not sure if that's swiss or not. It follows that I don't like cheese fondue or quiche. Both really gross me out.
  24. I don't like cottage cheese.
  25. I like ricotta in pasta.
  26. I like brie and Camembert - a lot.
  27. I don't like brie and Camembert from a supermarket. I call these varieties Supermarket Brie and Supermarket Camembert. My fancy soft cheeses must be unpasteurized and/or come from a fancy cheese shop, and be either from Quebec or France. It must be strong but not so strong that it is bitter. I eat these spread thinly on good french bread, like fancy butter.
  28. I don't mind Supermarket Brie or Supermarket Camembert, if it is served with flavourful crackers that mask the plastic supermarket flavour. I eat these spread mediumly on said crackers.
  29. It is likely that I also do not mind Supermarket Brie and Supermarket Camembert if it is covered with a bunch of flavourful stuff and then baked. This theory has not yet been tested.
  30. I tentatively and cautiously like blue cheese. But definitely not all blue cheese. I like St Agur blue cheese, and this must be spread very lightly. I do not like the Danish Rosenborg cheese from the supermarket. I call this Stinky Supermarket Blue. I liked a blue cheese from an oyster restaurant downtown called Starfish (the restaurant, not the cheese). This leads me to believe that I may also like other varieties of blue cheese.
  31. I love love love Morbier cheese from France. It has a thin streak of black ash across the middle. It smells like the feet of angels. It is earthy and a little nutty and I love love love it.
AND FINALLY:
As of last night, I am obsessed with Tete de Moine cheese. This is the main reason for this post. Tete de Moine cheese (or Monk's Head cheese) is made in Switzerland, and is a noble and generous gift from the cheese gods who live in their heavenly Mount Cheesympus. To serve it, you scrape at it on an angle with a tool called a "girolle", and it forms a flowery buttery bundle of delicious awesomeness. You can then gobble it up plain, or dollop some jelly into the curling folds of the luscious cone.

I sampled this cheese at the Gourmet Wine and Cheese Show last night. It was the night reserved for insider people; it turns out one of my Mommy Friends has mad hook-ups and got us all in for free. Together, we experienced this cheese and it changed my life forever. I can't wait to get out to a fancy cheese shop, because I am SO going to get me some Monk Heady goodness! If you come over to visit over the holidays, I will share it with you.Haiku Finale:
Mother cow and sheep
Creamy cheese flows forth from teat
Not literally

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you having a cheese night closer to Christmas to make up for your absence at the Cooledge party? Or should I just invite myself over :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm Kraft dinner powder cheese. I recently ate Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese, and the liquid cheese that came with it was so thick and sketchy I couldn't finish it.