Christmas is fast approaching, and I have accidentally grated off a large chunk of my left index finger with a Microplane Ribbon Grater.It was a distinctly unpleasant experience. See, we had done some employee-discount shopping at Williams Sonoma, and had invested in a nice collection of Microplane graters. Eric had a real hankering for them back in the summer and wanted one of each kind. So we brought them home, and he proceeded to try to wash them. Well, when it came time to wash the ribbon grater, the cover was stuck! Eric brought it out to the family room where I was innocently and demurely watching tv. I tried to get the cover off a few times and we agreed, it was stuck. But then I had to try one last time. I applied a steady force, and suddenly the cover wrenched loose!
Unfortunately, my left forefinger was roughly pulled by momentum right down the front of the grater. I screamed bloody murder. I jumped up and down. I cried. I don't react well to pain. I quickly ran it under some water...I don't know if I'm supposed to do that. But we had no BandAids or Polysporin, so Eric made me hold a wad of tissue tight against my bloody mangled finger while he ran out to buy some.
When we gingerly pulled back the tissue, we found that it had already crusted up onto the open wound. I had to pry it off, moaning and wheezing the whole time. A large and thick flap of skin/flesh was still attached on one side. Eric made me fold the flap down onto the wound and assured me that the skin would "reattach". I kind of think he made that up. I tried, but the skin had already started to dry out, so it was hard and not very pliable.
Then we bandaged it up, and I've been whimpering about my hurty finger ever since. I am experiencing difficulty typing, washing my hair, and doing dishes of any kind.
2 comments:
From your friendly neighbourhood nurse (well almost a nurse):)
Yes you did the right thing running it under water... though eric did make it up... your skin wont reattach... you'll get new skin instead! keep it covered for a few days... but make sure to keep it clean ... cause you don't want to get it infected!
Keep toughing through it! In the mean time make eric do everything!
Steph :)
Yeah in the "meantime" cause usually Carol is the one that does everything. Hah!
Post a Comment