Campbell's "Soup at Hand" was 3 for $5 yesterday at Loblaws. We were at Loblaws because Eric complained that he hasn't been making satisfying poo all week, so I suggested we go to Loblaws and buy oranges. My entire family, immediate as well as extended, has believed for decades that if you have trouble pooing, you need only eat an orange, and poo will come racing out. My brother once couldn't poo for over a week, and then he ate an orange and had a huge poo within two hours. We went on a ski trip with my uncle's family last year, and they brought oranges with them, and we were all required to eat a minimum of one orange each night. If you ate two, you were loudly praised.Anyway, back to the soup. I had never tried it, but my co-worker said they were good. We happened to be checking out the soup aisle, and I saw the 3 for $5 sign. Priced normally at $1.99 each, I had abstained from purchasing them, because almost all Campbell's soups contain msg, and $1.99 for 284mL of msg soup was not a good deal in my books. $1.67 for 284mL of msg soup is more like it.
I stopped liking the cream soups awhile ago, so I got three of the "Chicken with Mini-Pasta" soup. Just now I went to microwave it for the prescribed 1 minute and 15 seconds. We have a really ghetto microwave at work, with a turn dial. I have never had any experiences with a microwave that wasn't digital before starting this job. So I kind of had to estimate, and ended up microwaving it for more like 1 minute and 40 seconds. I took it out and stirred it with a stir-stick like they say you should, to make sure your soup is uniformly hot. But it didn't seem hot enough at all. So I put it back in the microwave, for an extra 15 seconds, like the container suggests you do if your soup doesn't seem hot enough. Except that this turn dial doesn't go to 15 seconds, you have to put it to at least a minute before it does anything. And so I just turned it to 2 minutes, and counted to 15 myself. Then I took the soup out and stirred it again. And it still didn't seem hot enough. So I put it back in the microwave and just let it run the full two minutes. By the time I took it out, I had microwaved my 284mL of soup for almost four minutes. It was starting to get kind of frothy on the top. But honestly, the soup really didn't seem that hot. I might have put it in for longer, but someone else had come into the servery and wanted the microwave (she also had Campbell's "Soup at Hand", in "Creamy Tomato").
So I took my soup back to my desk. And that's when I realized my soup was too hot. Way too hot to put to my lips and drink from the sippy cup mouth slot. I would have burned off my lip-skin. This is why they don't want you to heat it to near-boiling temperatures, because it's meant to be drunk from a sippy cup mouth slot, not aired out in a big wide soup-plate, and blown on in a soup-spoon before being slurped with lots of air to help cool it down. It has now been 25 minutes since I got back from the servery, and I'm still too scared to drink my soup.
3 comments:
It's like when I was in high school a little while back . . . and we had this guy from a prison come in and talk to us (to scare us straight or something). He brought some ice cream that they give to the inmates. It seemed normal. . . maybe freezer burned. The scary part was when he put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it didnt' start to melt at all. Kinda decided two things that day. 1. I wasn't gonna get caught for anything from now on. 2. If I did, I sure as heck wasn't going to eat the ice cream
Ice Cream that doesn't melt? Yum! Although I might steer clear of the "vanilla" or "chocolate" flavours.
I find the constant information on bowel movements that this blog provides disturbing. Too much information really.
That said however, the information on oranges is scientifically sound:
"The orange is beneficial in the treatment of constipation. Taking one or two oranges at bedtime and again on rising in the morning is an excellent way of stimulating bowel action. The general stimulating influence of orange juice excites peristaltic activity and helps prevent the accumulation of food residue in the colon, which leads to putrefaction and auto-intoxication.'"
Post a Comment