Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I am Carol Chan

I haven't changed my name yet. I had totally planned on taking Eric's name after we got married, because Carol Chan is very very common. Have you ever Googled Carol Chan? None of these people are me. Neither are these.

My Chinese name is also very common - Wei-Yee. Again, none of these people are me. And since "Chan" is the Chinese equivalent of "Jones" in terms of common-ness, my name is basically the Chinese version of Jane Jones, only I don't look anything like Angelina Jolie.

But somehow, I'm now in no rush to change my name.

Carol Johnston sounds pretty good to me. My issue is whether to let go of "Chan" completely. Because my middle name will still be "Wei-Yee". So I'll be "Carol Wei-Yee Johnston". Which isn't bad...just a little unexpected.

Maybe I'll incorporate "Chan" into my middle name. Like:
First name: Carol
Middle name: Wei-Yee Chan
Surname: Johnston

Or, because in Chinese the surname comes first...

First name: Carol
Middle name: Chan Wei-Yee
Surname: Johnston

Carol Wei-Yee Chan Johnston
Carol Chan Wei-Yee Johnston

Princess Consuela Bananahammock.

Hahaha! Oh, Phoebe.

Then there's always the idea of changing BOTH our names to a hybrid name - Chanston. But I'm not that progressive, and I don't even like the way it sounds. So nix that.

And just today, I got an idea that I can change my name to Johnston completely, and then get the Chinese character for Chan tattooed somewhere on my body. Eric loves tattoos, so he loves that idea. I'm a little worried that like the other Chans in my family, the tattoo will stretch out with age and develop a double chin.

What should I do??

I will end with a pensive haiku.

What's in a surname?
Desperately, I cling to mine
Am I a Bad Wife?

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Just a friendly reminder that if you decide to get a tattoo and it's on your lower back you won't be able to get an epidural when you're popping out Carol or Eric Jr :(

How about hyphenating Chan with Johnston?

Anonymous said...

You can't get an epidural??? Really?? Did you just make that up?? :)
Soup Na(t)zi likes the combination of two names...i.e..Bookopoulos.
:-)

WailingDuck said...

I think that's just an urban legend...

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exwc3.htm

Iain said...

When I Google my name, I get exactly me, and me alone.

Granted, with "quotes", but still...

Heidi said...

It's an urban legend? Woohoo! Now I'm going to get an epidural just for the fun of it!

Anonymous said...

"Brandon Brown"

I mean, looking at the statistics: (from http://www.namestatistics.com/)
Brandon -> Brandon is the #68 most common male name.
and...
Brown -> Brown is the #5 most common last name.

Too bad these are US stats :(

And as for google, I get some pretty good stuff. Like, I'm aparently a 6'7" black college basket ball player. THAT's crazy. Or my personal favorite: http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=browse&product_id=14086
The Brandon Brown Doll. I kid you not. It's one of the later pages in google search, but hey, I was board.

Anonymous said...

"Brandon Brown"

I mean, looking at the statistics: (from http://www.namestatistics.com/)
Brandon -> Brandon is the #68 most common male name.
and...
Brown -> Brown is the #5 most common last name.

Too bad these are US stats :(

And as for google, I get some pretty good stuff. Like, I'm aparently a 6'7" black college basket ball player. THAT's crazy. Or my personal favorite: http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=browse&product_id=14086
The Brandon Brown Doll. I kid you not. It's one of the later pages in google search, but hey, I was board.

Anonymous said...

When I google my name I get stuff about my dad, my grandpa and those damn nude pictures of me that I never should have sent out accidentally.

Anonymous said...

Get rid of Chan. Carol Wei-Yee Johnston just sounds the best. Chan doesn't sound good in any combination. Although I do kind of like Chanston, haha ;)

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »